Sunday, August 14, 2011

Plarn? What is plarn?


I was cruising Google looking for bag patterns and found listings for "plarn". As I am easily intrigued, I looked it up. Plarn is basically recycling plastic bags from the grocery store or other stores, slicing them into loops, and using them instead of traditional yarn.

My favorite description and the prettiest project is here on the Etsy blog. If you are interested in seeing more projects, Crochet Pattern Central has an entire plarn section.

A few of my mistakes you can avoid:
Try tying a few loops together before you cut up a lot of bags. If they keep snapping, go wider with the loops.
Watch to be sure BOTH the loop you are attaching and the one you are attaching it to are flat, or you will end up with some awkward bits in your plarn.
Keep track of the last loop of your plarn. If you drop it into your pile, it can be hard to find.

I did not do much to make my plarn uniform beyond doing a long stretch of brown bags alternating with a long stretch of white. When I ran out of plarn, I just cut up more bags and attached them to the end.

The photos show the loops after they are cut, the loops after they are looped together before rolling them into a ball, and my bag in process.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment