Thursday, July 11, 2024

Jane Austen July 2024 TBR

 Jane Austen July is an annual readathon focused (of course) on Jane Austen, hosted by Katie at Books and Things, Marissa at Blatantly Bookish, and Claudia at Spinster's Library, all on YouTube.

Here is my TBR:

  1. Read one of Jane Austen's main 6 novels. The group read this year is Sense and Sensibility which I will read, but I think I will start with another novel, probably Persuasion.
  2. Read one of Jane Austen's other works. The group read is Sanditon and The Watsons. These are short, so I may also look at some of her letters.
  3. Read a non-fiction about her or her time. My original pick for this was Jane Austen Embroidery, which I have started. But I got sidetracked by Love and Marriage in the Age of Jane Austen, which I really enjoyed. I also finished a short biography of Jane Austen, and am reading Jane Austen and the Price of Happiness, also very good so far.
  4. Read a retelling or a novel set in her time period. I am planning to read The Perils of Lady Catherine de Bourgh by Claudia Gray.
  5. Read a contemporary of Jane Austen. I am trying to decide between Frankenstein, A School for Scandal, and Evelina.
  6. Watch a direct retelling or adaptation.  I want to watch the Sense and Sensibility starring Emma Thompson.
  7. Watch a modernised retelling. I am hoping to finally get to Bride and Prejudice this year - I am not very good at keeping up with the watching challenges.
UPDATE:
I did read Persuasion and loved it as much as ever. I finished Jane Austen and the Price of Happiness, a 5 star read for me. Jane Austen Embroidery was good even for someone who does not embroider. I have started A New Jane Austen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment